Sunday, March 16, 2008

Notes from Papa!

Hi I'am Papa (grandpa of Maya). This is my first Blog entry (EVER). I'm still in the 20th centry and most insist I should have been born in the 19th centry. I don't even like the word blog, so if you please I will just communicate with you. Today is the day for Jen and Dom to meet their son, Kai. As one might expect there is a great deal of excitement mixed with trepidation. Maya is ready to take over and make sure Kai is not scared. I have great confidence in her. For Papa it is not so much anticipation as it is reflection. What has transpired results in our memories, both good and bad. Though in Maya's adoption , I only remember the good. This is Papas and Didi's (grandma) second trip to China. We are blessed that our daughter and son-in-law have asked us to share in this wonderful experience both times. I do not know what to expect and really don't care, as I said, the memories of Maya are only good. Last Monday, it was my time to do some day care with Maya. In the afternoon, Maya picked Beauty and the Beast to watch. As she crawled onto the sofa, she asked me to sit beside her. Sucking her thumb and rubbing her ear she leaned her head against me and in total comfort watched the movie. About half way through, she looked up at me and said "PaPa, I wuv you". I said "What sweatie?" and her reply was again simply, "PaPa, I wuv you". And in response I said "Maya, I love you too". And in reflection as I approach 62 I ask what do I want out of my life? Simply, my granddaughter, Maya and grandson Kai to lean against me and say I love you.

3 comments:

Meg said...

no matter what you call it- this was a beautiful post- I hope you print it out and share it with your grandchildren someday- congrats on the new member of your family!!!!!!
Meg
another Harrah's "QT" family

nanny said...

Bill you said it so well for grandparents the world over. Give our grandchildren a kiss and cuddle from nanny and tell them how much they are loved by us all. The time here is 23.00 on the night of the 16th so I figure it is not long now. I may not be physically with you all but I am there. Enjoy this moment Papa and DiDi for me as well. Lots of love nanny xxxxxxxx

Kristi said...

OK Papa, that made me cry. Maya, and now Kai, are privileged to have you as their grandfather. And we are privileged to count you as our friends.