Tuesday, March 18, 2008

DiDi Speaks!

Our first experience in China was so amazing, I hardly expected the second one could be moreso...but we are having a wonderful time once again! The travel, of course, is long and tiring, but OH! the reward is great!

Seeing our little Kai for the first time - in a room full of strangers, and even stranger-looking to him, biting that lower lip, trying so hard to be brave and looking so completely adorable - well, I was sold! What a wonderful grandson he is! And our Maya! I couldn't forget for a minute, regardless of the fact that she was probably having a panic attack - cold sweat, unfocused eyes - in the face of all these strangers and the idea of a new brother, a concept for sure not totally understood; yet, she bravely followed her mom and dad and put her arms around Kai and handed him her precious teddy bear all dressed up in its dinosaur pj's! The crowded room of adoptive parents all "ooh-ed and ah-ed" simultaneously whereupon Kai began to cry and I was already crying, of course. So, once again we witnessed the "birth" of a new grandchild to our family.

All you grandparents out there - you know exactly what I'm trying to express. When Kai blew me a kiss this morning I felt like the whole world was mine! We are continually showering Maya with all the attention we can offer - and that's a lot because she is our best girl -it's very hard to watch a new little stranger (brother - that brother-concept again!) get so much attention from mom and dad.

Well, my most interesting and brave experience was to go to a hair salon and get my hair cut -- it was not unlike being pampered in the ritziest salon in Chicago, but probably better! Now, I'm told I'm a modern girl!! We love China! We enjoy the people - it's interesting to be here in Nanning because there are fewer Caucasions here, so we are stared at a lot , but it is all friendly. We say "nihau"and people respond with smiles and curiosity.
Our days are fairly relaxed with a blend of sight-seeing, shopping, food, food, and food. I just returned from a local bakery with my "lunch". I had no idea what might be in the rolls I purchased (no English translation available), but Maya, Kai, Dom, and I sure did enjoy them! As they say: "When in Rome..." Next I think I will talk Jen into going out for a massage at a local parlor. It is supposed to be a wonderfully relaxing experience!

To all my Yostie friends who may be following along: I will be glad to share photos and experiences, probably until you tell me "STOP"! Today we were taken by our guide to the local market. I have some good photos of all the shops selling local products - mostly food, including live turtle, snake, fish, chicken (all live) and others that I'm not sure about. My daughter says I should plan some special library times to share with my student-friends about our wonderful China experience. See you after spring break, Yosties!

Before I close my eyes each night, I give thanks for my beautiful children and grandchildren, and for this amazing China opportunity! Lorene

1 comment:

nanny said...

Hi DiDi good to hear from you I would love to be bored for weeks on your photos just give me half a chance. I am so happy all is well with you all please give our grandchildren a extra cuddle and kiss from me when you are with them. See you all next week I'll be waiting. Love you all lots nanny xxxxxxx