Friday, July 17, 2009

Billy Boy's Blueberry Barn!














Blueberry picking season just started yesterday!

Considering the temp. was only going to reach a high of 70 degrees today, we thought we'd move our annual blueberry picking date up a bit and head to Billy Boy's.

As we were in route to the blueberry farm, I remembered our last year's experience. I had looked into everyone's buckets at the end of our picking, and noticed that Maya's bucket contained a beautiful rainbow of blueberries (green ones, light purple ones, and an occasional ripe blue one). Kai's bucket was full of leaves that he had picked from the bushes...and most of the blueberries had gone straight to his mouth.

So I decided to begin our adventure this year with a quick "picking" lesson. I showed the kids the different shades of berries and encouraged picking the blue ones.

Maya was very serious about her picking today. When I asked if she was ready to go, she said no, not until her bucket was filled to the top. Kai was a bit more laid back. He split his time between picking the berries and eating them.

I was shocked when they showed me their buckets today. They were filled with plump, ripe, blue blueberries. Maya's was almost to the top and Kai's was at least 1/3 filled. By the time we were done, we had picked almost seven pounds of blueberries between the three of us.

On the way home, Maya said "I only like the blueberries we pick...not the grocery store ones." I have to admit, I completely agree. There's nothing better than a bowl of hand-picked blueberries.

We enjoyed our fresh picked blueberries over dairy queen soft serve ice cream for dessert tonight. Tomorrow it's blueberry pancakes!

No comments: